Spark your imagination through the power of technology
The Sony Corporate Alliances and Investments Team contributes to SONY Group Corporation innovation by building partnerships with high-tech companies across the EU and Israel in strategic areas including semiconductors, artificial intelligence, automotive and mobility tech, AR/VR/XR tech, and much more.
Our team also leads the venture capital activities of the Sony Innovation Fund’s early stage and growth-stage funds, from deal sourcing to deal execution and portfolio management. Sony Innovation Fund invests in technology-driven transformational companies that are shaping the future of business, entertainment, and society.
Your journey starts with us:
TECHNOLOGY AND INVESTMENT MANAGER
- Identify emerging technologies and trends in strategic areas
- Use desk/field research as well as personal networking with industry leaders to scout for tech companies and identify promising start-up companies and/or university research
- Increase deal flow through networking with other VCs or CVs
- Perform technical analysis of scouted companies to understand core strengths and developments
- Present companies and explain technical aspects to different levels of audiences (mostly senior executives from SONY business units)
- Build relationships with SONY groups in Japan through understanding their motivators and strategic directions
- Plan, organize, and execute tech tours for Sony Group Management in Israel and at key industry trade fairs (e.g. IFA, CES and MWC)
- Manage due diligence, negotiation, and structure of M&A, equity investment, joint venture, and joint collaboration deals
- Identify key motives and constraints between the parties
- Propose a deal structure (share purchase, asset purchase, convertible security, earn-out, etc.) and discuss pros and cons with the BU in Japan
- Form a due diligence team (finance/tax, legal, HR, technology, product and business)
- Build a due diligence check list for each deal
- Lead and chair the due diligence weekly progress and main discoveries
- Combine the outcome of the different due diligence items, SONY synergies, and assessment of investors willingness to tender in order to formulate a valuation image
- Leverage relationships with investors and company management to identify win-win scenarios and common ground with the key stakeholders in SONY Japan
- Be the local project interface for Japan and for third parties, and manage the project from each side to achieve success
- Run regular teleconferences or F2F meetings to track project progress, deal with problems, and find solutions
- Handle queries from partners and seek relevant people within SONY to resolve
- Understand, translate and communicate key messages from partners or from SONY Japan
Market intelligence reports
- Prepare market intelligence reports on high-tech industry trends to formulate recommendations to SONY groups on focus areas and companies they should invest in.
- Cover diverse technology domains from semiconductors and imaging to artificial intelligence, fintech and digital health technologies, among others.
- Be a key contributor in industry-shaping projects with exposure to top entrepreneurs and senior industry executives.
- Work as part of a truly diversified cross-border team.
Be part of the team!
If you think you have what it takes, we’d love to hear from you. For this role, we’re considering candidates that have the following qualifications:
- BSc/MSc with technical background (preferably Electrical-Engineering, Physics, or Computer Science)
- 5-10 years experience in a technical-business role, with experience and knowledge of software technologies
- MBA – an advantage
- Familiarity with Japanese culture – an advantage
- Teamwork and proactive attitude
- Fast independent learning and creative thinking