Adoption of integrated SIM (iSIM) technology and cellular IoT is set to grow rapidly, according to a new Mobile World Live survey sponsored by Sony Semiconductor IL, Kigen and Vodafone Business. The report presents the key findings from an online survey of more than 750 respondents, to understand market perceptions of Cellular IoT and Integrated SIM (iSIM) technology.
The vast majority of the supplier respondents in the survey regard the new wave of SIM technologies as critical or important. Key findings of the survey showed:
- 79% of businesses adopting IoT technology and 77% of device makers are either using Cellular IoT already or plan to do so within 18 months.
- 64% of the supplier ecosystem respondents are considering adopting iSIM technology in their IoT offering in the future, with rising demand for low cost and prepackaged solutions as enablers for speed to market.
- Users particularly value iSIM’s low power consumption and small size, but also appreciate its simplicity and lower cost of ownership.
- The top three benefits of iSIM identified by the survey reveal that the technology is ideally placed to support a wide range of battery-efficient applications or devices, increasingly constrained form factors and simpler device set up.
- For suppliers, the survey delivered a clear message around the need to provide cost effective and convenient solutions that can be deployed quickly and easily, without the need for significant systems integration.